Downsizing to a Duplex - Budget Bathroom Renovation

My fiance recently bought a duplex, 750 sf on each side. Over the past few months we've been renovating it from top to bottom. Today I'm going to focus on the bathroom renovation.

The bathroom in this place is TINY, barely enough room for a tub, small vanity (24"), and toilet. So to make myself feel better about the small space, I went for it with the design!


No! These are not my new bathroom!

I drew inspiration from my favorite color combination (Navy, Grey, Gold), found bathrooms that did this color combination (see inspiration above), and applied it to my space in a $$ saving way! See below for purchases, budget, and progress/after photos!

Vanity: $250 (Lowe's)

This Allen + Roth vanity was right on budget but with great style that fit the color scheme! An added bonus was it came with the solid surface top and integral sink all in one! Durable surface for a future rental property... sign me up!

Faucet: $95 (Lowe's)

I wanted to use black fixtures to pull in the black door knobs and also to tie in the blue to the grey. This one was particularly inexpensive and very clean-lined so I bit!

Medicine Cabinet: $250 $200 (West Elm)

I HATE medicine cabinets, but this is the slickest one I've ever seen. With a bathroom that's barely 30 sf we HAD to have the storage. This medicine cabinet is so slick though, fits right into the wall and looks like a mirror. CRAZY expensive seeing you can get them for $50, but for me it was worth the investment. The gold tied in perfectly to the space and gave me a slick look while still being practical with storage. 

Light: $99 $85(West Elm)


Are you noticing a trend?! I do love west elm. Sometimes their prices are incredibly high, but I thought this light was very fairly priced (considering brass is the highest priced finish currently). I went with a simple style and even a little more modern than I was thinking for the space, but the single light worked well. 

**Also we had a discount code for both light and medicine cab!**

Shower Fixtures: $156 (Build.com)



We went with a simple black for the shower, Kohler. Matches in with everything else nicely.

Toilet: $100 (Home Depot)



Honestly I'm not even sure this was the exact toilet we got. We went to Home Depot, looked at every toilet they had in stock, compared the widths and depths and found the least expensive/smallest toilet and that was our method of choosing! :)

Wall Tile: $400 (Floor and Decor)



You can't beat a standard subway tile on a budget. It looks so crisp and sharp and at $1.15/sf I dare someone to find something cheaper that looks this good! We even decided to do a wainscoting with it for the rental later, saves $ on drywall repairs in the long run and water damage!

Tub: $150 (Home Depot)

Nothing fancy! Just an upgrade from before...

Tub when we bought duplex.. EW!

Labor for Tile, Fixtures, Plumbing for Entire Bathroom: $1,250

Floors were carried in from adjacent area. 
We used a laminate that looks like wood at $2/sf. This is not included in the total below, but you could add ($2/sf material * 20 sf *$2/sf installation cost =) $80 if you really want a fair price! 

TOTAL COST: $2,686



Before paint!


I'll add a better after picture when I get one!! Door knobs aren't even changed out yet!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DIY How To: Paint Your Kitchen Cabinets Pt. 1 Prep

DIY How To: Paint Kitchen Cabinets, Pt. 2 Painting