Renovating on a Budget: How I Renovated a Bathroom for Less than 1,200 dollars

You may say, 'No Way!?', but yes. I remodeled a full bathroom for less than $1200. I was about to list my house and the bathroom was in MAJOR need of a renovation, see below for before and after pictures.


AFTER


BEFORE

Inexpensive, but Beautiful Materials

$0.99/SF Floor tile... 

I did a printed tile for the floor that is super trendy, but NOT expensive! I got one similar to below for  $.99/sf from Home Depot . For a 30 sf bathroom that's only $32 with tax! Add in thin set and grout for another $30 and you have a new floor!


$270 Pre-manufactured Vanity from Big Box Store...

Nobody beats this price! I've priced it out so many times thinking I could beat the "all-in-one" price. Once you add finishing the cabinet, countertop, and sink, there's no comparison! If you can change out the hardware to make it feel more personal and less big-box store, that helps too. Or you may get lucky and find one that already has that feel, for $270 (find the one below at Lowe's at the time this blog was written on sale). This isn't the exact vanity I bought, because I bought mine (also on sale) on the floor at our local Home Depot. 



$75 Mirror...

I opted for a cabinet package above without the mirror. As much as I love to save money a mirror is not worth saving the $20 in my opinion. I think the mirror above reads I bought this at Home Depot for $20. I'd rather spend a little extra for the mirror and have a bathroom that reads more expensive than it was (even though I still bought it at my friendly neighborhood Lowes ). 



I've used this mirror time and time again because it's clean lined, nice, and less than $100. You'd be shocked how expensive mirrors can be. Or maybe you're not and that's why you're reading this blog! :) Also it goes great with the best finish to use in a budget bathroom... CHROME!

$44 Bathroom Faucet...

USE CHROME. Chrome is by far the least expensive finish you can use in the bathroom for everything (lights, faucets, cabinet door pulls). I'm a fellow lover of the current brass craze! And where that's great for the kitchen or master bathroom, DON'T waste your money on a nice finish in a secondary bathroom. For example, the faucet I show below is $44 in chrome and $55 in black finish. $10 may not seem like much up front, but when you start adding up everything it can really add up. 


$150 Bathroom Light...

I wanted to go big with the light fixture. To go with the mid-century style of my house I opted for a mid-century fixture from Wayfair. You can definitely save more money than I did here. Try to find something on sale. Again... your best bet for savings is chrome!


$50 Shower Curtain...

I didn't do much inside the shower. I only replaced the tub spout because the existing one didn't work the drain. I did, however, buy a nicer looking shower curtain. The Kate Spade black and white polka dot one I got from Bed Bath and Beyond didn't break the bank, but looks nice. 




TOTAL MATERIALS = $649


Do-It-Yourself Install and Cheap Labor

Tile Install ... $140
ASK AROUND. A friend of a friend of a friend probably knows someone who can install tile cheaply. We got ours installed turnkey for $140. What a steal right?!

Sink Install... $50
Find a plumber who wants to make some side cash or a general handyman can typically hook up a sink no problem. This shouldn't cost you more than $100. 

Light Install... $50
Again this can easily be done by an electrician looking to make a quick buck or your friendly handyman. My fiance can install lights so we did not have to pay someone to do this. Get a handyman to install lights, don't hire an electrical contractor for something this simple. 

Drywall work... $100
The guys came after work and quickly did some patching and finishing and even supplied their own material. 

Paint... $0
Paint yourself. This is easy enough! We used leftover paint from another room in the house!

Refinish Bathroom ... $275

This item right  here is the secret to completely changing the feel of a bathroom for under $1k. If you're looking to get rid of colored tile that is in great shape, REFINISH IT! I had a nasty green color (as seen in pictures), I refinished it to white. It's the best look on a budget!

TOTAL LABOR = $515

TOTAL COST = $1,164









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Downsizing to a Duplex - Budget Bathroom Renovation

DIY How To: Paint Your Kitchen Cabinets Pt. 1 Prep

DIY How To: Paint Kitchen Cabinets, Pt. 2 Painting